Please answer these word problems – put your answers in a comment or write them in your learning log.
If you get stuck with any of them, come and ask me in Independence Time!
- I buy a £10 phonecard, I already have £2.65 credit on my phone. I make a call costing £1.83, how much credit have I got now?
- To make a litre of light blue paint you need 2 tins of blue paint and 3 tins of white paint. If I need 9 litres of light blue paint, how many tins of blue paint and how many tins of white paint do I need?
- In the computer store there is a 25% off everything sale. I buy a scanner, which at full price should have been £240. How much do I pay for it? When I go to pay for it, the assistant says I can have a further 5% off if open a storecard. What would the price be if I opened a storecard?
- In a half price sale I buy a stereo for £110.65, a mobile phone cover for £3.80 and a DVD player for £126.50. What would have been the total I would have paid for these items if there had not been a sale?
- Both my brother’s ages and mine are prime numbers. My brother is 6 years older than me. What could our ages be?